Western Mass. No Kids :: View topic - Photo Gallery
Western Mass No Kids

Western Mass. No Kids Forum Index -> General -> Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

All registered users should now be able to upload pictures to the photo album.
Pictures will need to be approved by a moderator before they appear (a little safety measure to keep pranksters from adding inappropriate content).

Right now there are three albums. One for any pictures that get taken at Western Mass No Kidding get togethers. Another for pictures of WMNK members' pets (since so many of us seem to have pets). Another for photos of places in the cities/towns that WMNK members live (as I'd like to add random photos of member cities/towns on the top of the page next to the logo.)

Any other suggestions? We could do an album of individual member pictures I guess. I'm the camera shy type so I wouldn't be one of the contributors to that one.
How to add a photo to a gallery
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) Click on the Photo Gallery link in the left hand navigation bar.
2) Click on the link for the appropriate category for the photo you want to upload.
3) Click on the Upload picture link in the upper right corner of the photo album.
4) Choose the correct album from the pulldown list.
5) Using the Browse button, find the picture on your computer that you want to upload to the server.
6) Fill out the picture title and description fields.
7) Click on the Upload Picture button.

An admin will check the site at least daily for any new uploads and approve photos.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:31 am Reply with quote
snog

i wonder when the pic of the tattoo i'd taken which pays homage to glam rock will be posted in the gallery.perhaps the admin hasn't checked in lately.
or is it one of those deals where it has been deemed an undesirable picture?seems my original choice of avatar was summarily banned....
anyway,i just wanted to showcase the artist's incredible skill;i'm very impressed with her work.
anyhoo,i am wondering if tattoos are too radical a thing for this group.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

snog wrote:
i wonder when the pic of the tattoo i'd taken which pays homage to glam rock will be posted in the gallery.perhaps the admin hasn't checked in lately.
or is it one of those deals where it has been deemed an undesirable picture?seems my original choice of avatar was summarily banned....
anyway,i just wanted to showcase the artist's incredible skill;i'm very impressed with her work.
anyhoo,i am wondering if tattoos are too radical a thing for this group.

Sorry, I used to check the photo queue daily but then after several months of finding nothing to post, it stopped being part of my daily routine. I just checked and the picture's there.

I'm not really sure where we should put the picture of your tattoo, albumwise, since it's not applicable of any of the existing albums. I'd asked if people were interested in a "member photo" type album where people could post pictures of themselves, but got no response whatsoever. I guess that would fit under such an album. So I'll create it and move the photo there for you. If we can come up with an even more fitting album theme at a later date, we can move there at that point.

As for your avatar being removed, that wasn't anything personal. We'd meant to originally set things up so that people couldn't use personal avatars, but that we forgot to hadn't gotten noticed until later. Mainly we did this in case people who dislikedisapprove of those of us who choose to be childfree joined the site to cause trouble and decided to use offensive types of pictures in the forum. Unfortunately in the nine years we've been part of online communities and been admins at sites, we've seen that eventually you end up with that sort of problem and it's easier to head it off at the pass.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, that was a tricky one. Since the new category didn't exist when you uploaded the picture and the photo album software doesn't have a means to move a picture from one album to another, I had to be sneaky. I approved the photo under one of the existing categories that didn't have any photos in it, then renamed that category to be the members' photos category. Then I renamed the new category with the existing categories prior name.

Phew...I need a nap now! ;P
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
snog

callie mo:your reply and its candor is greatly appreciated .Thanx!
the explanation for not using personal avatars is a valid one and makes sense.i didnt know that there are folks with children who'd be so petty as to slag those of us who choose not to have them.that behavior is hardly one to role model for children,is it?
again,i do understand what you mean:over the years i have been treated as if i were an ogre when i'd admitted that i don't especially care for small children;that it IS the reason i never had any.
and,thankyou for your efforts in creating another photo album..perhaps it could be a forum for miscelania[sp?]..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

snog wrote:
i didnt know that there are folks with children who'd be so petty as to slag those of us who choose not to have them.that behavior is hardly one to role model for children,is it?
again,i do understand what you mean:over the years i have been treated as if i were an ogre when i'd admitted that i don't especially care for small children;that it IS the reason i never had any.
and,thankyou for your efforts in creating another photo album..perhaps it could be a forum for miscelania[sp?]..

You'd be surprised at what people do. I'm guessing you've never checked out the newsgroup alt.support.childfree

I'd stumbled upon a reference to it once on a page about being childfree and I've lurked from time to time reading posts. They can be a bit more on the militant "anti-child" side than most childfree people, but they still end up with "breeder" (people have have kids and let them run wild but expect everyone else to cater to their kids) types coming in and being obnoxious. And you get the real Bible thumping types who say that we're doomed to hell because we're not following the "be fruitful and multiply thing". Ugh. I don't quite understand what their problem with us not having kids is. I mean, we pay taxes too, so because we don't add to the school system's burden by having kids, they should be happy that their kids benefit from the tax dollars not getting stretched even thinner.

I know what you mean about being treated oddly because you don't care for small kids. Even when I was a youngster, when we'd go to family reunions I'd be hanging around and listening to the adults talk rather than off cooing over the latest baby like my sister or my cousin. Babies have never impressed me. Toddlers and preschoolers just tend to get on my nerves because they're noisy and get into things because their parents don't watch them. I guess I'm lucky that my sister and brother both have kids, so that my parents, while disappointed, eventually accepted our decision not to have kids since they already have grandkids to enjoy.

Also, I could create yet another album for "miscellaneous pictures" perhaps. It could be a place where people could post photos they'd taken here and there. Things like amusing sign mispellings, nature shots, etc.
I'll add that now.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
snog

callie:i will check out the link to that newsgroup.
yeah,tell me about these folks who have many children which they can't handle[and in some cases can't support].yet they get angry with you when it becomes more than obvious that their 'little monsters'are annoying the---- out of you.i'm sure we could swap stories...
indeed,much bratty behavior is due to poor parenting.
i certainly agree with your argument that by not having children,we taxpayers are not stretching tight resources even thinner.

lol,i wished i could one day take a pic of a sign with incorrect punctation..it's a used car seller near where boston road and[cant think of the street name]fork near OLSH in springfield.the sign reads:"used car's".ah,how badly the poor apostrophe is abused!!!i'm amazed at how many folks don't seem to know how to use it properly...[and how often plural is confused with possesive]
Quote:
I know what you mean about being treated oddly because you don't care for small kids. Even when I was a youngster, when we'd go to family reunions I'd be hanging around and listening to the adults talk rather than off cooing over the latest baby like my sister or my cousin. Babies have never impressed me.

oh yes...i know how that is,too.that kind of thing just bores me no end.[though i do admit to a facination with new borns..they are so fragile that at times i feel tearful when around them..strange..]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

snog wrote:

lol,i wished i could one day take a pic of a sign with incorrect punctation..it's a used car seller near where boston road and[cant think of the street name]fork near OLSH in springfield.the sign reads:"used car's".ah,how badly the poor apostrophe is abused!!!i'm amazed at how many folks don't seem to know how to use it properly...[and how often plural is confused with possesive]

My husband keeps a cheapo $30-after-rebate digital camera in his car for just such a situation. There had been so many times he'd see a gorgeous rainbow or a sign with something oddly amusing on it and he'd wish he had a camera, so he bought one. I'll have to have him post the picture he took of the partially burnt out neon sign at the bowling alley that the group met at several months ago (we bowl on a league there during the season). The missing letter makes for an oddly funny read to the sign.

You should really pick up the book I posted about in the Books forum. The author is British, but it seems that problems with punctuation aren't limited to Americans. I found myself chuckling through the book because I recognized so many similar times where I'd seen signs abusing punctuation too.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote
snog

callie:i have a digital camera,too,and do take it with me on walks.however,as i dont have a car[which is why i can't make any of the meetings,btw],i can't take pictures of the funny signs i see,unless encountered on walks.lol,i don't think the bus driver will stop to allow me to take a pic of the sign showcasing the incorrect use of the apostophe..
i look foreward to the pix of the bowling alley neon sign.i adore neon.
i sent a PM to you regarding'abby's' reply in the link you posted.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might actually be able to get a decent shot from the moving bus, provided that you're sitting in a window seat. I've taken many a shot from a moving car that has come out nicely. If the sign is something that's on your daily bus route to/from work or wherever, you should be able to have yourself ready to snap the picture the next time you go by.

I just had my husband upload the photo I'd mentioned. Just one unlit letter really changes the sign. Since the bowling alley that the sign is from is right off the 291 entrance/exit for the Mass Pike, I'm sure many strangers to our area seeing it think there's something mighty weird going on at that place.

I've been slightly distracted lately. One of the clowder had what we think was a urinary tract infection. The vet couldn't get a urine sample from her, so she just prescribed a course of meds assuming that it was an infection. After a couple of days of the meds, things seem back to normal, thank God. I sent a response to your private message.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quote
snog

i am glad that one of your cats is doing better;i well understand your worry.i am the same with sadie.i hope your cat continues to be on the mend.
i might just take up your suggestion re taking pix from the bus.or i could ask my downstairs friend when she might be going by that sign and if she'd be so kind to stop to allow me to take a pic.
ah!i well know the bowling alley of which you speak.my friends and i bowled there a few years ago..choked on the heavy smoke,what's more.wondering why smoking and bowling go together...but now with the new non public place smoking law having gone into effect,mabey that will no longer be an issue?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

snog wrote:

ah!i well know the bowling alley of which you speak.my friends and i bowled there a few years ago..choked on the heavy smoke,what's more.wondering why smoking and bowling go together...but now with the new non public place smoking law having gone into effect,mabey that will no longer be an issue?

Funny you should mention that. We were just at there today to start getting some practice in for the coming league season. Yes, the new state laws do cover bowling alleys (especially since most bowling alleys have both a bar and a snackbar/restaurant.) I am extremely happy about this new law (as is my sister-in-law who was thinking of quitting the league because the smoke had really been bothering her.) I think it was about a 40/60 split between smokers and non-smokers in our league.

Most likely why smoking and bowling go hand in hand is that drinking and smoking go hand in hand and many bowlers are beer drinkers. Depending on what part of the bowling alley we were bowling on and if the team we were playing against smoked, there were nights when I came home and went straight into the shower and my clothes went right into the washer. Other nights you could barely smell the smoke residue on me. Now I won't have to worry about it at all! Hooray!
Photo Gallery
  Western Mass. No Kids Forum Index -> General