Online Info:

Total Online: 1
Guest(s) online: 1
User(s) Online: 0
User(s) Online List:

Register
Lost Password
Western Mass. No Kids!: Forums

Western Mass. No Kids :: View topic - underground and independant label bands/music
Western Mass No Kids

Western Mass. No Kids Forum Index -> Music -> underground and independant label bands/music
underground and independant label bands/music
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote
snog

i enjoy darkwave,classic deathrock[known as'goth'among the younger set] as well as dark ambient,ethereal and some noise .
as well,i love punk[oldschool],ska and new wave.
i do not like most classic rock at all.because i am in my 40's,many people assume i like this stuff.once i discovered new wave and punk in the late 70's/early 80's,i never looked back..
in addition to the above,i adore glam.big time.in fact,i have a tattoo on my upper right arm which pays homage to it.
my tastes in music are very eclectic.i listen to blues/zydeco/classic big band jazz/classical/motown/reggea-dancehall/some rap.
i do hope other folks discuss their musical tastes.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm pretty easy-going musically speaking. About the only types I can't deal with listening to are rap or country music. I do tend to end up listening to more mainstream stuff since it's what's out there and easy to find. (I admit it, I'm lazy! )

If you like hearing new artists though, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.acidplanet.com

It's a showcase site for people who use a specific piece of software for assembling the various tracks for their songs. It's surprising how many really good unknowns there are out there. Our friend from California who goes by the name Limey has a couple of songs on there in mostly the electronica genre.

Enjoy!
local music
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
LeFitz

I too like to listen to a variety of genres: blues, jazz, folk, zydeco,blue grass, dixie land, world music, reggae etc.

I'm a little biased towards local music -- my husband is a musician. He is the drummer with Trailer Park and subs with lots of other bands: Viva Quetzal, Art Steele Blues Band...

I really enjoy just going out and hearing/seeing live music. It's a shame we don't have more venues in the area, because there is an amazing amount of talent in this around here.
Re: local music
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

LeFitz wrote:
I too like to listen to a variety of genres: blues, jazz, folk, zydeco,blue grass, dixie land, world music, reggae etc.

I'm a little biased towards local music -- my husband is a musician. He is the drummer with Trailer Park and subs with lots of other bands: Viva Quetzal, Art Steele Blues Band...

I really enjoy just going out and hearing/seeing live music. It's a shame we don't have more venues in the area, because there is an amazing amount of talent in this around here.

Using my patented "Search Queen™" skills, I found the website for your husband's band and listened to a couple of the MP3's they post. Excellent sound! I also see they're going to be playing at the Taste of Northampton next month. I'll have to see if my husband and I can make it up there for a live listen (since they're playing rather early, we'll see if he can get out of work early enough, his schedule can run late).

And welcome to the site. It's great to have yet another person posting! I hope you'll keep coming back.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:15 am Reply with quote
LeFitz

Hi CallieMo,
Thanks for the welcome. My husband's band is a lot of fun. If you can't make it to the Taste that early and don't mind a road trip -- they are also playing at the Mole's Eye in Brattleboro at 9:30 the same night.

Anyway, this site and the national no kidding site have been a God send for me. It's nice to know that there are others who have chosen not to have children -- and we're not freaks! :)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

LeFitz wrote:
Hi CallieMo,
Thanks for the welcome. My husband's band is a lot of fun. If you can't make it to the Taste that early and don't mind a road trip -- they are also playing at the Mole's Eye in Brattleboro at 9:30 the same night.

Anyway, this site and the national no kidding site have been a God send for me. It's nice to know that there are others who have chosen not to have children -- and we're not freaks! :)

Hmm, does Vermont prohibit smoking in bars perchance? My sinuses aren't happy campers if I spend time in a heavily smoky atmosphere, unfortunately.

You and your hubby should join us for our monthly group meeting. Most of the people don't tend to post here, so if you go you'll get to meet them too. They're a great group. We've enjoyed ourselves thoroughly as everyone is very nice and the conversations are always interesting. Our next meeting is Saturday Aug 7th. We're going to give minigolf a try for something different to do. If you can make it, email the address in that link and let the coordinator know that you're coming so that she'll be expecting you.

Hope to see you there!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
LeFitz

Hi CallieMo,
I'm not sure if all of Vermont is smoke free, but the Mole's Eye is! I don't go to any of his "smokey" gigs -- only the smoke free or outdoor ones.

Thanks for the invite to mini-golf. I think my hubby is subbing with another band and we only have one car so that means I'm home bound. :(

I've noticed that when you respond to one of my posts you include my post in your response. How do you do that?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

LeFitz wrote:
Hi CallieMo,
I've noticed that when you respond to one of my posts you include my post in your response. How do you do that?

If you look to the top right of my post, there's a grey button marked "quote". If you click on that, it sets you to to a reply page and includes the messageboard code to quote that person's post. Then if you're only referring to a part of their quote you can just remove the extraneous stuff if you wish.

:)

Thanks for the info on the Mole's Eye. That might be a better option if my husband's schedule doesn't allow for him getting out early. Of course, that's also assuming I can get him to take the hour ride up 91 (and hour back after the gig). Still, he likes the sound of your husband's band too, so it's very possible.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
LeFitz

If you look to the top right of my post, there's a grey button marked "quote". If you click on that, it sets you to to a reply page and includes the messageboard code to quote that person's post. Then if you're only referring to a part of their quote you can just remove the extraneous stuff if you wish.

Thanks for the help and I hope to meet you at the Taste or Mole's Eye!
Quote:
oops
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
LeFitz

Opps! I didn't quite do the quote thing right -- oh well, maybe next time.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
CallieMo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry we didn't make it to either of the shows on Friday. Life sort of just happened this weekend and we ended up with other things we had to do.

:(
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
LeFitz

I only made it to the first show/ the Taste. It was a good show and the rain held off!! :)

the band plays all the time, maybe we'll meet at another show.
underground and independant label bands/music
  Western Mass. No Kids Forum Index -> Music